Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Meet the Contractor

Chad installing a ceiling canHere's the dome's last general contractor, Chad. We <3 Chad. He's working on the electric finish today, should take another day or so. Paint is finished! Tomorrow the floor installers start. That's a big piece of the schedule, they'll probably be laying floor for the next week or two.

Three of the five colors in the dome's final color scheme are visible in this picture -- the dining room walls are painted Antiquarian Brown, then you can see just a little sliver of the family room's Roycroft Copper Red, and the far kitchen wall (and the ceiling) are done in Roycroft Vellum. (The other two colors are Ruskin Room Green, a medium sage green, and Hubbard Squash, a rich yellow.) I chose all of the colors from the Arts & Crafts palette by Sherwin Williams. I'm doing a lot of the finish work & decor in the Craftsman style -- bronze fixturing, stained glass, mission wood, &c. Perhaps I'm mixing metaphors here; there's not a lot of intersection between the square pillars of Prairie School and the ultra-modern triangular panels of the geodesic dome. But heck, they're my metaphors and I can mix them if I want...

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Yay, Roycroft! I was amazed to learn recently that the founder of the Roycrofters, Elbert Hubbard, may have been responsible for Frank Lloyd Wright getting his first big commercial commission, the Larkin Building. Hubbard was Larkin's brother in law.

Unknown said...

Oh, and I should say, your dome looks marvelous. Loooooooove the colors, looooooove arts and crafts.

Boo in L.A. said...

+1 on the colors. I'd use the Bunglehouse Blue for the front door too. (Besides, how often do you get a chance to say "Bunglehouse Blue"?)